Table of Content
If you’re looking to hire a graphic designer, it’s important to make sure you make the best hire possible. Since most of a graphic designer’s work will be customer-facing, this hire will have a huge impact on the way your customers perceive your brand.
If you hire the wrong graphic designer, potential customers may be put off by the look and feel of your marketing materials. This can damage your brand’s credibility and lead people to choose one of your competitors instead.
Let’s start by understanding the skills required in the top motion graphics designers
Motion Graphics Artist Skills
To ensure that deadlines are met, you’ll need to find a graphic designer with excellent time management skills. This includes:
- The ability to prioritize tasks
- Plan for the completion of tasks
- Execute their plan
Your graphic designer will need to communicate with other members of the design team and other departments (e.g., marketing) as well. So it’s important to find candidates who can:
- Understand and interpret written communication
- Listen actively and interpret non-verbal cues
- Clarify next steps and summarize messages effectively
Attention to detail. It’s important to find a graphic designer who can ensure that your graphics are on-brand and error-free. Candidates with attention to detail should be able to:
- Find differences in images
- Distinguish design details
- Identify patterns
Most graphic design work is done through the use of the software. Look for candidates with experience using the tools that your team relies on. For example:
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop.
Graphic design is typically done as part of a team. Whether it’s the design team, the marketing team, or multiple departments, if your graphic designer will be working with a team, it’s important to find someone who can:
- Collaborate effectively with a team.
- Fulfil commitments made to other team members.
- Be responsible for their duties within the team.
No matter the role, everyone runs into problems occasionally. Your graphic designer should be able to:
- Adjust their schedule based on emergencies that may arise
- Interpret data and apply logic to make decisions
- Prioritize and apply order based on a given set of rules
The ability to arrange type to make written language legible, readable, and appealing is crucial. Without it, your graphics will not be compelling or understandable. That’s why it’s essential to find a graphic designer who can:
- Choose fonts that work together harmoniously.
- Align and style text so that it is on-brand.
- Develop an information hierarchy that brings the proper amount of focus to each part of the copy.
If your graphic designer will be designing creative for use in ad campaigns, they will need to understand:
- The dimensions needed for different ad formats and platforms.
- The rules apply to creatives of different formats and platforms.
- Best practices for creating compelling ad creatives.
Motion Graphics Artist Job Description
When hiring a graphic designer, a well-written graphic designer job description is important because it helps potential candidates understand the skills, strengths, and experience you are looking for in your candidates.
For example, if you don’t make it clear that you require a graphic designer who knows how to use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, you may find yourself sorting through a pile of resumes from candidates who only know how to use Canva.
A good job description will keep you and potential candidates from wasting time. It will reduce the number of applications you receive from unqualified applicants, and ensure that those who do apply to know what to highlight when applying for your graphic designer opening.
How to write a good graphic designer job description
Before you begin writing a job description for your graphic designer opening, think about what you’re looking for in a designer.
- Does your team use certain graphic design software? If you need a graphic designer who has experience with specific software (e.g., Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop), you’ll want to include this in the job description.
- Will the person be working with people on your team or independently? Working with a team and working independently require many overlapping skills, but there are also skills unique to each.
- What level of experience do you need? In general, the more experience you require, the more you should expect to pay. So you probably won’t want to hire someone with an MFA in graphic design when a self-taught designer could get the job done.
- Would you rather work with a freelancer, an agency, or hire a new employee? Many freelancers and agencies search for job postings when looking for new clients. If you’re only interested in hiring someone in-house, make that clear in the job description.
- What sort of projects will your graphic designer be working on? Different graphic designers have different strengths and weaknesses. By understanding what projects you need your designer to complete, you can call out these skills in the job description.
Motion graphics designer interview questions:
Tell me about a time when you received negative feedback on one of your designs. How did you respond?
A good graphic designer needs to be able to handle negative feedback professionally. By asking for a specific example of a time when the candidate received negative feedback, you can get a better idea of how they handle criticism.
Listen to see if the candidate was able to take criticism and use it to improve their work on the project.
What is your process when designing a ____________?
A good graphic designer should know what steps they take when designing a logo, a social media graphic, or whatever they’ll be working on. The more information they can provide you with about their process, the better.
Listen to see if the candidate understands the importance of research, concepting, sketching, and revision.
What is your favourite type of project to work on?
A graphic designer who enjoys their job and takes pride in their work will be more engaged on any project you hire them for. Listen to see if the designer you’re interviewing enjoys working on the sorts of projects you’ll need them to focus on.
Do you have experience working in our industry?
You want a designer who can understand the needs of your type of business. So, ideally, your new graphic designer will have experience designing for companies in your industry. For example, if your company sells construction equipment, a designer with experience in fashion or retail might not be a good fit.
But fundamental design principles are consistent across industries, so even if the candidate doesn’t have experience in your industry, listen to see if they understand what your business needs in a graphic designer.
Do you work well with others?
Interaction with clients and coworkers is an important part of being a successful graphic designer. It’s important that the person you hire can work with a team. You might want to ask some specific questions about times in the past when they have worked with a team.
Then ask about the benefits and challenges they faced when on that team.
How would you describe your graphic design style?
A graphic designer’s design style will affect the look and feel of their work. You want to know if the designer you’re interviewing has an established design style that matches your company’s needs.
What do you like most about working in graphic design?
Every graphic designer is different and every graphic design job is different. Listen to see if the things they enjoy most about graphic design line up with the things they’ll be doing on the job.
What is your favourite or least favourite graphic design trend? Why?
A good graphic designer should stay up to date on design trends. They should be aware of the latest design trends and techniques. Listen to see if they have a thoughtful answer to this question.
What is your favourite design resource? Why?
A good graphic designer will keep up-to-date on design trends and resources. Listen to see what designers they admire, what blogs they read, and whether or not they seem to be focused on continuing to improve as a designer.
What do you think is the best part of working in design?
A good graphic designer will be passionate about their work. This question will help you see if the candidate is excited about their career.
Listen to see if they are enthusiastic about their job and if they seem to enjoy the responsibilities that you will need them to perform.
Options to hire the best motion graphics designer:
Really, you have three options when hiring designers:
- Work with a design agency
- Hire a freelance designer
- Hire an in house designer
The Pros and Cons of Working with Graphics Design Agencies
- Very cost-effective
- The high volume of work
- Stand behind their product
- Highly communicative
- Access to a large talent pool
- Vetted designers
- Flat monthly rate
- The designers are remote
The Pros and Cons of Hiring Freelance Designers
- Competitive rates
- Access to a large talent pool
- You pick the person for the job
- Time intensive hiring process
- Higher likelihood of flakiness or being unresponsive
- Usually, the work is not guaranteed
- Could become pricey
The Pros and Cons of Hiring an In-house Designer
- Quick access
- The high volume of work
- Guaranteed rates based on what you negotiate
- Most expensive option
- Small talent pool
Communication Crafts: full-service Motion Graphics Design Agency
Hire top 3% motion graphic video makers from the largest talent pool of globally recognised professionals pre-vetted by us.
Here’s an example of a Motion Graphics video made by CC:
Why Hire Motion Graphic Designers from CC?
- Our Motion Designers strive to create spotlight-stealing videos for your business.
- Unlock an ocean of highly skilled motion graphic designers pre-vetted by us.
- Hire motion designers who will understand your needs quickly and deliver accordingly.
- Hire professionals who will adhere to the given timelines and deliver projects on time.
- Get access to the latest technologies and stay at par with emerging trends.
- Our motion designers are experts in delivering bespoke video solutions. Get high-quality animation and motion graphics that resonate well with your audience.
The CC Difference
- ISO 27001:2013 Certification
- Outstanding Clutch Reviews & Rating (4.8/5.0)
- 17+ Years of Hands-On Experience
- 150+ Clients across the globe
- 180+ Expert Developers
- Flexible Hiring Models
- Cutting-Edge Technologies
Hire Top Motion Graphics Artists in 3 Steps:
- Share your Talent Needs
- Interview the Talent
- Finalise the Talent
Consumers are gravitating towards video content rather than articles and blogs in recent years. Animated Videos with Motion Graphics are easy to react to and share, cultivating a healthy connection with your audience over time.
Communication Crafts is a renowned agency that offers top-tier Motion Graphics services for all types of businesses, delivering unique animated videos for brands that have helped them successfully increase ROI and conversions.
We welcome you to exploit our expertise…